MPSHome Alumni Calendar Contact MyMPS
WHS History
Poplars/The Tower

Poplars/The Tower

The creative artis magazine was formerly known as Poplars after the poplar trees which edged the west side of MacQuarrie Field. The Tower became the name of the creative arts publication in 1989. The acual tower, which stands a block to the southwest of Washburn, has been a congregating place for many students.

The first tower was buildt to provide water for the Washburn Orphanage since there was no city water line out to this area. In 1931 the old tower was torn down and a new tower was constructed as a water resevoir. The tower is on the national register of historic places.