Students will have unit assessments based on learning targets. These assessments will account for 70% of their grade. They will be assessed using the 8 point scale below on each learning targets. Students may retake learning targets one time if they receive a 6 or below. However, they will have to correct their previous assessment as well as complete extra practice. This will need to be completed outside class time. Homework and class work will account for 20% of the grade. Homework assignments will be given 3-5 times a week. Homework will be assessed for completion, methodology, and accuracy. All homework assignments will need to be completed before the unit test. Late homework will not be accepted after the unit test. The IA exploration will account for the remaining 10% of the grade. These will be assessed using the IB criteria. Students will need a graphing calculator; however, there will be times when students cannot use their GCD on assessments and homework.
8 out of 8 points
Exceeds learning target.
7 out of 8 points
Consistently meets or exceeds learning target(s)
6 out of 8 points
Consistently meets learning target(s)
5 out of 8 points
Generally meets learning target(s)
4.2 out of 8 points
Occasionally meets learning target(s)
4 out of 8 points
Despite attempt, does not meet learning target(s)
0 to 3.99 out of 8 points
0 – 49%F
Does not meet learning target(s) and did not attempt the problem / did not show evidence of learning that occurred in or outside of class.
Grading rubric for assessments: MYP Criterion A: Knowledge and Understanding
Year 5 Descriptor
Student Friendly Descriptor
The student consistently makes appropriate deductions when solving challenging problems in a variety of contexts including unfamiliar situations.
8: Exceed Expectations (A)
· I answered all questions completely and correctly including the unfamiliar question
· (if there is an unfamiliar question)
· I included units (if necessary).
· I showed all my thinking and used correct notation. I would get method marks.
· I rounded to three significant figures when necessary.
· I successfully answered all questions on my first attempt. I would get all accuracy points.
7: Exceeds Expectations (A)
· I answered all questions with most being correct, but I may have missed the unfamiliar question.
· I showed my thinking and used correct notation.
· I successfully answered most of the questions question. I would get all accuracy points.
The student generally makes appropriate deductions when solving challenging problems in a variety of familiar contexts.
6: Meets expectations (B)
· Most of my answers are correct with a couple errors. I showed my thinking on most problems.
· I may have missed units on questions.
· I may have rounded incorrectly.
· I may have not simplified when necessary.
5: Making Progress (C)
· I answered about half the questions correctly.
· I may have used my notes.
The student generally makes appropriate deductions when solving more complex problems in familiar contexts.
4: Showed some knowledge (D)
· I attempted all questions with limited success.
3: Made an attempt
The student generally makes appropriate deductions when solving simple problems in familiar contexts.
I attempted questions with very limited success.
The student does not reach a standard described by any of the descriptors above
I did not try this assessment.
201 West 49th Street Minneapolis, MN 55419